Colleges and Universities Scholarship
This Golden LEAF Scholarship is open to high school seniors and community college transfer students who reside in a qualifying rural, economically distressed, tobacco-dependent North Carolina county and are planning to enroll full-time in a participating public or private college or university located in North Carolina.
Our 2022 application is now closed!
- Be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes
- Reside in a qualifying rural North Carolina county
- Be a graduating North Carolina high school senior or a currently enrolled North Carolina community college transfer student enrolling full-time in the fall
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Plan to enroll in a participating North Carolina public or private college/university
- Have a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) Expected Family Contribution (EFC) that does not exceed the maximum permitted by Golden LEAF
- Be able to communicate a commitment to returning to a rural North Carolina county after graduation from college
- High school seniors entering college as first year students are eligible for a four-year scholarship totaling up to $14,000 ($3,500 a year for up to four years).
- Community college transfer students are eligible for $3,500 a year for up to 3 years.
Use the “+” and “-” tools to zoom to view the county names.
Participating Colleges & Universities
Participating institutions include UNC System universities and most private, nonprofit institutions in North Carolina
(see participating institutions below)
Appalachian State University
Belmont Abbey College
Cabarrus College of Health Sciences
Carolinas College of Health Sciences
College at Southeastern
East Carolina University
Elizabeth City State University
Fayetteville State University
High Point University
Johnson C. Smith University
Johnson & Wales University
Mars Hill College
Mercy School of Nursing
Mid-Atlantic Christian University
North Carolina A&T State University
North Carolina Central University
North Carolina State University
North Carolina State Univ. – Agricultural Institute
North Carolina Wesleyan College
Queens University of Charlotte
St. Andrews University
St. Augustine’s University
University of Mount Olive
University of North Carolina at Asheville
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
University of North Carolina at Pembroke
University of North Carolina at Wilmington
University of North Carolina School of the Arts
Wake Forest University
Warren Wilson College
Western Carolina University
William Peace University
Winston-Salem State University
How to Apply
March 1, 2022 for application, transcript, and FAFSA. Applicants will be notified of awards mid-April 2022.
January 4, 2022
March 1, 2022
Deadline to submit application, transcript, and FAFSA.
Applicants will be notified of award status.