School Counselor FAQs
- January 9, 2023: Application opens
- March 1, 2023: Application, transcript, and FAFSA due
- Mid-April 2023: Applicants will be notified of awards
What type of student should we encourage to apply for the Golden LEAF Scholarship?
Golden LEAF strives to invest in students who are currently active in their rural community and intend to graduate and return to live in a rural, North Carolina area.
What are the scholarship eligibility requirements?
- Be a North Carolina resident for tuition purposes and reside in a qualifying rural North Carolina county,
- Be a high school senior enrolling full-time in the fall as a first-year student or a currently enrolled community college transfer student enrolling full-time in the fall,
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5,
- Plan to enroll in a participating North Carolina public or private college/university,
- Have a financial need as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) process,
- Be able to communicate a commitment to returning to a rural North Carolina county after graduation.
How can I assist students in making sure they have a strong essay?
- Make sure that students answer all components of the prompt:
- Student identifies two or more ways they currently contribute to their rural community
- Student identifies their intended college major
- Student identifies two or more ways their major/career plans will help them contribute to a rural community after graduation
- Have the student review the essay to check for grammatical and mechanical errors