Rural Internship Initiative
The Rural Internship Initiative offers Golden LEAF Scholars the opportunity to spend their summer working on-the-ground in a rural community. Scholars gain valuable work experience related to their career field along with additional leadership training and support from the NC Rural Center.
The application for the Golden LEAF Rural Internship Initiative is now open! Eligible Golden LEAF Scholars received an email with a link to apply. If you are eligible for this opportunity and did not receive an email, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Rural Internship Initiative
The Rural Internship Initiative provides eligible Golden LEAF Scholars with professional work experience related to their career field in a rural North Carolina community.
Internships are offered on a competitive basis. The Golden LEAF Foundation provides funding to pay interns $15/hour for their work. The internship takes place over a period of at least eight weeks, between May through August. Internship sites that take on a Golden LEAF Scholar intern provide them with a meaningful project or role that aligns with the student’s college major and future career goals. Interns also receive additional leadership training and support from the NC Rural Center over the course of the summer.
Key Dates in 2022
Mandatory Onboarding Webinar for Interns and Internship Sites
Mandatory Offboarding Webinar for Interns and Internship Sites
Information for Golden LEAF Scholars
The Rural Internship Initiative is open to all Golden LEAF Scholars excluding participants in the combined leadership and internship opportunity (GLSLP) managed by the Center for Creative Leadership (CCL) and seniors graduating in the Spring or Summer 2022 semester. Participants of the Lead for Excellence (L4E) virtual leadership experience managed by CCL may apply.
- 8-10 weeks, between May-August 2022
- Paid, $15/hour for up to 320 hours
- Based in a qualifying North Carolina county
- Identified and secured by the Golden LEAF Scholar
- Related to the Golden LEAF Scholar’s major/course of study
Applications are submitted online through an application portal. The portal will open in early January 2022.
Scholars will be asked to submit:
- An unofficial transcript (to verify course of study information),
- The Internship Site Information Form (completed by the internship site),
- Four short essay questions in which the intern describes how the proposed experience aligns with their course of study and supports their professional development.
- What are your future career plans and how does this internship opportunity align with them?
- Identify a current problem/challenge in your rural hometown. Share a proposed solution you have for solving the problem/challenge.
- What factors are influencing your decision to return to a rural North Carolina community after college graduation?
- What excites you about this internship opportunity?
Information for Internship Sites
Internship Site Benefits
Internship sites that accept a Golden LEAF intern receive added summer capacity and benefit from working with one of North Carolina’s brightest young people, at no cost to the company. Most importantly, internship sites play a role in developing the capacity of the next generation workforce and encouraging our state’s young people to live and work in rural North Carolina.
Internship Site Responsibilities
Internship sites that take on an intern agree to provide the intern with a meaningful project or role that aligns with the student’s college major and future career goals.
Internship sites include, but are not limited to, businesses, non-profits, governmental entities, and/or companies. Supervisors also commit to reporting on intern performance via bi-weekly surveys as well as mentoring the student on the role, professionalism, and rural community leadership. All participating internship sites will enter a three-party agreement with the Golden LEAF Foundation and a temporary employment agency, which will be the intern’s employer of record and will manage payroll and similar services.